Monday, March 13, 2023

Secret Girl Power–Super Saturday Review

newmarket hcp_finish 2
In Secret wins the 2023 Newmarket Handicap

When I set out to catch a train to Flemington, I was hoping to get there in time to watch Race 3,  the Group 2, Kewney Stakes, but I missed it. It was won by Revolutionary Miss.

Rather than head for my usual spot on the western lawn, I decided to check out the stalls area first and get some photos of the Newmarket Handicap contenders, though I only came across a few.

stalls_iwish i win 1
I Wish I Win – the Newmarket starting favourite

stalls_roch n horse 1
Last year’s Newmarket winner Roch ’N’ Horse

2019 Melbourne Cup winner Vow and Declare was also present, set to run in the Australian Cup Prelude later in the afternoon.

stalls_vow and declare 2
Vow and Declare

Whilst I was dilly dallying in the stalls area, I missed getting back  to my usual spot to photograph the Group 2 Sires Produce Stakes. I did however manage to watch the field charging down the straight and noticed the two riderless horses, though mercifully missed the falls that resulted in jockeys Craig Williams and Jamie Kah being transported to hospital. Both horses, Flyball and Dubenenko, were alright thank goodness.

This alarming incident delayed proceedings for the rest of the afternoon, so the next race, the Group 2  Matron Stakes was run half an hour after its scheduled start.

By the rime it was run I had managed to get to my favourite spot and was able to get photos of the action.

race 5_matron stkes_finish 3
Sirileo Miss wins the Matron Stakes

Sirileo Miss led from start and won by over three lengths from Excelida and Barb Raider.

race 5_matron stkes_sirleo miss  1
Sirileo Miss on her way to the barriers

race 5_matron stkes_finish 4
Excelida (checks) and Barb Raider fill the placings

It was a pleasant sunny day trackside, so not that onerous to kill time between the rescheduled races, and there wasn’t much of crowd present either.

Next up was the Australian Cup Prelude, run over 2000 metres.

Right You Are started as favourite and prevailed, holding off Vow and Declare to win by over a length. Emissary ran third.

race 6_aus cup prelude_finish 2
Right You Are wins the Australian Cup Prelude from Vow and Declare

race 6_aus cup prelude_right you are 1
Right You Are on his way to barriers

race 6_aus cup prelude_vow and declare 2
Vow and Declare on his way to the barriers

race 6_aus cup prelude_emissary 1
Emissary on his way to the barriers

The feature Newmarket Handicap was next up. It had attracted a super field of classy sprinters. I Wish I Win started as favourite, but sole three year old filly In Secret thrashed the field to win convincingly from Lofty Strike with I Wish I Win running third.

Luckily, In Secret raced down the centre of the track, so I was able to get some good photos of her winning the race.

newmarket hcp_finish 4
Another shot of In Secret winning the Newmarket Handicap

newmarket hcp_lofty strike 1
Lofty Strike runs second

newmarket hcp_in secret  1
In Secret returns to scale

By this time, what with the delay caused by the falls in Race 4, it was after 5.00pm, so I called it quits and headed for the station and home.

It’s interesting that the two recent Flemington Group 1 sprint races were won by three year old fillies, no doubt in part due to the light weight they were allotted to carry.

Next Saturday I’m heading to Moonee Valley for the running of the All Star Mile, but I will be returning to Flemington for Australian Cup Day  on 25th March.

2 comments:

Bec said...

Lovely photo of In Secret! Hopefully she makes it to Caulfield in the 2nd half of the year.

Anne S said...

Thanks Bec, I was delighted that my photos of In Secret turned out so well. She certainly seems to be a very classy filly.