Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Music delights coming up…

The music festival season is looming, well it is a only a few months off. But that means one has to plot which artists one can afford to accommodate in the busy schedule of the Brunswick Music Festival and the side shows issuing from the Port Fairy Festival and the East Coast Blues Festival

Much as I would like to see the bluegrass group Crooked Still, I feel that three nights of concerts in row might be a bit over the top. So I’ve settled for the other bluegrass maestro Tim O’Brien at the East Brunswick Club on March 17th. Besides I promised to shout my young nephew Joe to the show, as Tim O’Brien is his favourite artist. The next night we’re going to see Justin Townes Earle at the Forum Theatre.

The following week, I’ve booked for Joe Pug at the Toff In Town on Monday 20th March and Shane Nicholson at the East Brunswick Club on the 24th March.

And in April I’ve a ticket for Cyndi Lauper at the Palais in St Kilda – girl pop for a change. I had to redeem a Ticketmaster gift voucher by the end of November, and had a choice of Joe Cocker, The Doobie Brothers and Cyndi Lauper, so selected her show as it is very much left field to the artists I usually go and see.

But before all the above, I am very much looking forward to Basement Discs first in store for 2011. A local band called Little John will be playing there on Friday, February 4th. I’ve got their debut CD Put Your Hands On Me and love it. It’s passionate, it’s gothic, it’s rock n roll, old time country and gospel. The lead singer John Dickson has an extraordinary voice. Check out the band on My Space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have never posted anything on a blog before, so I am not sure if this will even work. I came across it because I typed Sarah Carroll into Google, (she is coming to Adelaide and I had not heard of her) and there on your blog is exactly the sort of stuff I love, and need to know, so thank you very much. You are doing all my research for me, --I notice a post called Sayonara to the work place, so maybe you have retired and are doing for me the things that I want to do when I retire-find out where all the good music is. Thank you
Alia

Anne S said...

Sorry for the delay in answering your comment, but thankyou for it anyway.

Retirement so far has been great and I can't imagine going back to work.

There will be more music posts shortly as March is chock full of musical events.