Friday, December 31, 2010

Sayonara to the work place

“So its goodbye to the sunshine, goodbye to the dew,
Goodbye to the flowers, and goodbye to you.
I'm off to the subway. I must not be late.
I'm going to work in tall buildings.”

John Hartford - Tall Buildings

For me it’s hello to the sunshine - it’s a scorcher this New Year’s Eve in Melbourne - and hello to the flowers and goodbye to the Department, I’ll no longer work in tall buildings.

Yes, today was my last working day. I’m all set for a 10 month holiday using up recreation leave and long service leave credits, after which I will officially retire from the workforce.

God knows what I’ll do with myself, but I’m sure something will occur to me to occupy my time for however long I’ve got left. But firstly I’ll enjoy winding down , chilling out and forgetting the stresses of training a new person in my job over the past few months, and particularly the past week.

I’ve got plenty of new books to read, having scored a number of books for Christmas by way of gift vouchers, which of course I’ve redeemed.

Anyway, this New Year’s Eve will be a memorable one for me, even though I’m not planning on doing anything special.

Whoopee! No more work.

I also wish readers of this blog just as memorable an occasion and love , peace and happiness in 2011.

5 comments:

aliholli said...

Whoop whoop, ENJOY!! How exciting for you!! All the best for 2011. And a very big thank you, Anne, for your kind words on my blog xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, good for you Anne. I can't imagine, having read your blog over the last year or so, that you won't know how to fill up the time. I look forward to reading about your new life in 2011.

Retirement, as they (well, I anyhow) say, rocks...

aliholli said...

Hi again, just thought I'd write on your page not mine that I had a little bet on "Our Father", a horse running today at Chepstow and in memory of Dad and it romped in at 9-1...it was meant to be.. xx

aliholli said...

ps... whoop whoop the CRICKET!!!!!

Anne S said...

Hi Ali,

Our Father is a dead cert omen bet if ever I heard of one. Glad it paid off so generously.

My only recent successful bet was a trifecta yesterday (Sydney Race2). Didn't pay much, but as always it's a thrill to win.

Apropos the cricket - congrats to you Pommies - well done! Australia has become too complacent over the past few years, so we don't mind that they lost (well, I don't)