Thursday, September 04, 2008

Spring Racing Carnival – the excitement starts to kick in

This coming Saturday features a sizzling program of races, most notably the return clash between Weekend Hussler and Light Fantastic in the Makybe Diva (formerly the Craiglee) Stakes, run over 1600 metres.

I am also interested to see how Augusta Proud goes in the Danehill Stakes against an open field of three year olds. She’s got her work cut out for her in this race having drawn an outside barrier, but as it is being run at Flemington, that may not be so much of a disadvantage. Flemington has a long wide straight.

In Sydney, Triple Honour is back in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes. It’s a small field (5 horses) but there are some smart ones among them like Derby winner Fiumicino and the in form Kishkat.

In a way it’s a pity the Hussler is running this week as it means I will not get to see him in the flesh at Moonee Valley the week after when I anticipate making my annual pilgrimage to the track. Still I dare say there will still be heaps of excitement on the day and ample opportunities to take photos.

My super stable virtual bank now stands at $490,700, but I am still waiting for further developments before I contemplate substitutions.

No comments: