Friday, September 14, 2007

Jack Howard and the Long Lost Brothers @ Basement Discs

After a bit of a lull in live music performances, today’s mini concert at Basement Discs was a lively mix of various types of music, including grungy rock, funky Latino and all round uplifting rhythms, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

Jack Howard is a former member of the great Aussie band Hunters and Collectors, wherein he played trumpet, keyboards and provided backing vocals.

He is also an accomplished songwriter and is the lead singer in his own band. The band on the Basement stage today comprised Jack (vocals, trumpet) Nicky Del Ray (electric guitar, backing vocals) Barry Stockley (bass) and Sharky Ramos (drums). They made a satisfying big fat noise that had feet tapping and bodies swaying from the opening number. It was great to hear trumpet playing for a change, of which Jack Howard is a master.

The in-store performance was to promote the band’s latest CD, My Lucky Day.

I didn’t really know what to expect of the show today so was pleasantly surprised and very glad that I made the effort to attend.

Super Stable Update

It was a substitution round this week, so, with my stable having earned a virtual $432,625, I was able to swap a few non-performers in my stable. I outed Murtajill who has been disappointing and substituted him with the filly Tan Tat Delago. I also reluctantly swapped Seachange for Gold Edition (aka the iron filly). Seachange, for all those New Zealanders out there, is a local champion and has won several races in New Zealand so far this spring. Unfortunately, earnings from New Zealand races don’t count. It is expected that she will be coming to Australia to compete in the Cox Plate, but that’s a fair way off, so I outed her from my stable. I added Bel Mer a week ago as a substitute for Musket who was affected by the EI virus lockdown in Sydney. A special substitution round was allowed for this situation, with no loss of earnings

My new stable is
Apache Cat
Bel Mer (F3)
El Segundo
Gold Edition
Here De Angels
Haradasun
Tan Tat De Lago (F3)

Five of this stable (El Segundo, Bel Mer, Haradasun, Here De Angels and Gold Edition) will be racing tomorrow at Moonee Valley. It also happens to be the day I go to the races. I’m really looking forward to seeing my favourites in the flesh, and hopefully getting some photos of them. Haradasun and El Segundo will be competing in the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes and Gold Edition and Here De Angels will be having a rematch in the feature race – the Manikato Stakes. They raced against each other a fortnight ago and Here De Angels got the better of Gold Edition on that occasion. The Manikato should be a thrilling race and the Dato Tan Chin Nam equally so.

As it's a bit grey and rainy today, I'm hoping it will be fine and sunny tomorrow. Expect a report after the event, with pictures.

2 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I enjoyed catching up on your ever-interesting life.

Jan said...

I love your combination of interests, ie music and horseracing and wondered if they ever actually meet up somewhere??