Monday, October 23, 2006

More Music…


The photo above of is of Robyn Hitchcock & Venus 3 who played a marvellous set of tasty rock n roll at Basement Discs on Friday at lunchtime

I was standing in my usual position, as close to the stage as possible, so the sound of three electric guitars – very well played – caused me an exquisite inner delight. There’s something about good rock n roll that is very uplifting and, I believe, good for the soul.

Robyn Hitchcock’s outfit is great, particularly the purple trousers which co-ordinate with the stage curtains. Purple is my favourite colour and when I see clothes in that shade I generally feel tempted to buy them.

The weekend was busy, which is one reason I haven’t got around to writing about Robyn Hitchcock before, with a 50th birthday party to go to on Saturday and an assignment from Basement Discs keeping me at the computer all day Sunday. Friday night was taken up with more web maintenance stuff. At least my computer gets used in a practical way, though I do find it a great time waster as well.

Back to the band…

Robyn Hitchcock is from Britain & Venus 3 are from the UK and USA, They have collaborated on a CD called “Ole Tarantula” a jaunty rock pop recording, which we were given a taste of on Friday. Robyn Hitchcock sounds like a cross between John Lennon and David Bowie and the style is sort of 1980s Brit pop.

I had never heard of this artist before so I was pleasantly surprised and impressed when witnessing his performance.

It was the icing on the cake of a week of excellent musical delights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purple is my favourite colour too...and that shade is a particular favourite. Not enough purple around, I find. Nice post, Anne S. I've not heard of most of the bands you talk about but they do sound good.

Anne S said...

Clare - yeah purple is a great colour and it comes it comes in so many different shades.

Regarding the Robyn Hitchcock photo, the guitarist on his right is Peter Buck of REM, which I believe is one of your favourite bands according to your blog profile.

A lot of the bands I talk about are local artists so no wonder you haven't heard of them. The Australian music scene is long established and still going strong and there are quite a few bands which cover roots type music which is my preferred genre, though "Roots" does encompass a wide range of styles.