Saturday, March 19, 2022

Zaaki – A Class Act in the All Star Mile

all star mile_zaaki 9
Zaaki winning the All Star Mile

With the All Star Mile scheduled at the relatively early time of 3.40pm it wasn’t what you would call a marathon session trackside on Saturday at Flemington.

The trains to Flemington were running at 20 minute intervals with the last train to the course expected to run at 1.40pm, so I took my time getting there, arriving around 2.00pm.

As the support card was not all that interesting I didn’t bother to watch Race 4, but headed for the stalls area to get some photos of the All Star Mile runners in their stalls.

Not all were present at that time, but I found a few in both the lower and upper areas.

stalls_callsign mav 2
Callsign Mav

stalls_cascadian  1
Cascadian

stalls_lunar fox  2
Lunar Fox

stalls_mr brightside  2
Mr Brightside

stalls_pinstriped  1
Pinstriped

stalls_sierra sue 2
Sierra Sue

stalls_zaaki  1
Zaaki

After tarrying in the stalls area I figured I should get some action photo practice in Race 5, the Country Mile, a 1600 metres race for all comers, so headed to my favourite spot on the Front Lawn

This resulted in a win for Glassey Miss who won narrowly from Gracias Amigo  and Intellective. I’ve never heard of any of the aforementioned I must admit.

race 5_country mile _finish 2
Glassey Miss wins the Country Mile

race 5_country mile_glassey miss 1
Glassey Miss on her way to the barriers

The weather gods were kind on Saturday and the afternoon was bright and sunny, quite hot in fact, and certainly a pleasant contrast to the relentless rain last year at Moonee Valley.

I made sure this time that my camera was set correctly and was glad that I managed to get some good photos of the star performer.

As previously mentioned it was a short afternoon trackside, as the All Star Mile was the next race on the card.

Before that happened there was a bit of pomp and ceremony that involved flags and drums in the mounting yard, which I couldn’t be bothered watching having seen it all before in 2019.

Soon enough the runners were heading onto the track.

Zaaki whizzed out first, so I had to be fast to get photos of him going to the barriers.

all star mile_zaaki  2
Zaaki

all star mile_i'm thunderstruck  4
I’m Thunderstruck

all star mile_streets of avalon  3
Streets of Avalon

all star mile_inspirational girl 3
Inspirational Girl

all star mile_lightsaber  2
Lightsaber

all star mile_sierra sue  1
Sierra Sue

all star mile_mr brightside 1
Mr Brightside

all star mile_pinstripe  1
Pinstriped

all star mile_tofane  2
Tofane

Zaaki jumped from the widest barrier, but a pearler of a ride from Jamie Kah had him up on the pace shortly after the race started. Callsign Mav and Lightsaber led the field early, but Zaaki took over as they raced down the straight and won convincingly from I’m Thunderstruck and Streets of Avalon.

all star mile_zaaki 8
Zaaki – full speed ahead

all star mile_finish 3_runners up
Runners up – I’m Thunderstruck, Streets of Avalon & Mr Brightside

I called it quits after the All Star Mile, catching the first train back to the city and was home by 5.00pm.

The Melbourne Autumn  Carnival is now over, except for the William Reid Stakes next Friday night at Moonee Valley, so I won’t be going to any more race meetings until the Spring, which hopefully this year we will be able attend.

I enjoy my excursions to the races, but will be content to watch the Sydney Group 1 races on my computer from now on.

No comments: