Friday, March 28, 2008

Soul Cleansing, Ear Rending Rock N Roll at Basement Discs

Spectrum - left to right - Bill Putt, Tim Gaze, Mike Rudd

Iconic pub rockers, Spectrum returned for in store performance at Basement Discs at lunchtime today. They are promoting the reissue of their album Milesago and EP Breathing Space.

It was a great way to spend lunchtime, having one’s socks rocked from close up. A mix of old and young persons were present for the show. One young girl caused a stir by fainting, toppling to the floor face first. The band kept on playing but the audience was understandably distracted. She quickly recovered with no visible ill affects.

Mike Rudd ironically remarked that it was a long time since anyone had fainted at one of their gigs.

Tim Gaze, well known Australian rock guitarist who has been around the Australian music scene for as long as Spectrum, played guest guitar on two songs. He’s a terrific guitarist I must admit.

Tonight I’m off to see Patty Griffin again. She’s playing at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda – should be good. She will be with her band this time round, but from what I can gather the band consists of a guitarist and a drummer – that’s all. I should imagine they will make a reasonable sound.

I hope Patty sings different songs from those she sang in her previous tour. I’d love to hear her sing Tony live. It’s an astounding song about the suicide of a gay schoolboy. The chorus goes:

Hey Tony, what's so good about dying
I think I might do a little dying today
He looked in the mirror and saw
A little faggot starin' back at him
Pulled out a gun and blew himself away

Yes, it’s kind of grim, but spine chillingly good.

You may be wondering why I am taking black & white photos. I think it adds character to the pictures in some way, so it’s a fad I’m going through.

No comments: