Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Evening with Old Crow Medicine Show

ocms1
Old Crow Medicine Show – Forum Theatre – 13 March 2009

What a night!

The Old Crow Medicine Show were certainly something different – a lively hard rocking evening of great tunes and attitude.

It started off with a gentle set from Fireside Bellows – not so hard rocking – more on the mellow side. Then Tim Rogers took the stage. I must admit I quite maligned him in my last post, as he was actually quite good last night.

OCMS really blew the crowd away with their brand of Americana and roots music. All instrumentation was acoustic, and wow, could they play!

We had a good view from the front rank of booths sitting on top of the seats. My amazing little Panasonic camera managed to capture some good shots, considering we were so far back. I had a moment of panic early in the evening when the batteries gave out, and the spares wouldn’t work. Fortunately the camera runs on AA batteries, so I was able to nip out during an interval and buy a pack close by.

I’ve given up taking the Canon G10 to concerts as I seem to spend a lot of time fiddling with the controls, and really the Panasonic has served me very well at concerts for several years. However, once I master the G10 I’ll try it out again.

There was a good and friendly crowd at the Forum, and those on the floor were certainly getting into the vibe. At one stage, for a reason that escapes me, they waved their footwear around to a song.

OCMS played for almost three hours and were delighted with the audience response, repeatedly expressing their appreciation of Melbourne and the Victorian countryside.

3 comments:

edwardbruce said...

I'm annoyed I didn't go now. I'm a bit hard up at the moment and opted for a cheap night of up-and-coming Aussie bands at the Hopetoun Hotel instead.

Jan said...

Sounds good to me!
There's nothing like that kind of atmosphere.
The more I hear about Melbourne, the better it sounds.
Clearly a buzzing city.

iODyne said...

re the shoe-waving number:
they have a couple of songs which mention shoes ...